Cherry Creek North
History: It’s easy to forget that Cherry Creek North (CCN) is rich in history, dating back to the late 1800s when Edwin P. Harman and his wife, Lou, purchased this 320 acre town site that was then known as the town of Harman. In 1882 the town had a population of about 500 and was steadily increasing. In March 1894 the town was successfully annexed into Denver. Since then, what we now know as CCN, has organically blossomed into this completely original mixed-use neighborhood that has flourished thanks to its initial roots put in place by the Harman’s, as well as the many constituents that have built businesses in CCN over the years. The history hasn’t disappeared either; surrounding the borders of CCN, the old Town Hall still stands today at the corner of 4th Avenue and St Paul Street and Bromwell Elementary School is also still active today.
About the Cherry Creek North Business Improvement District (BID): The BID was established in 1989 as the first business improvement district in Colorado. The District encompasses a 16 block (27 acre) area, bounded by 1st and 3rd Avenues and University and Steele Streets. The BID is a governmental special district chartered by State Statute, which provides essential services and support to its over 400 constituents (property owners, merchants, and other users of the District) that would otherwise not be available (such as marketing services, etc). The BID is governed by a board of directors that is appointed by the Mayor of Denver, approved by Denver City Council, and serve at the pleasure of the Mayor and Council. The District employs six full-time program staff, three full-time maintenance staff, as well as a handful of part-time employees and contractors. The BID has taxing authority and certifies a mil levy each year, which is applied to the value of the properties in CCN. Property taxes from the District property owners are the primary source of financial support. Based upon annual revenues, the Cherry Creek North BID is the second largest in Colorado.
To our consumers, “Cherry Creek North” is known nationally as a premier outdoor retail, dining, and mixed‐use area located just 5 minutes from downtown Denver, across from the Cherry Creek Shopping Center. Our nearly 400 businesses (which span 20 categories) that make up the neighborhood are independents to internationals, featuring a broad range of unique fashion, jewelry and home furnishing stores, spas, salons, art galleries, and restaurants. Of our over 400 businesses, 73% are locally owned and operated, making CCN home to the largest collection of independently owned shops in the region. In addition to retail businesses, the District is also a national and regional office center, home to two hotels, and has a growing number of residents. In combination with the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, CCN is the number one visitor destination in Colorado according to the Longwoods Study conducted for Visit Denver Inc.
The BID financed and managed the design and construction of “The New North” project, an $18.5 million streetscape renovation effort that was completed in November 2010. The improvements were designed to retain and attract visitors and users, to protect and preserve the District’s character, and to keep the District strong in a competitive retail environment. Improvements include new landscaping to beautify the area and conserve water, new lighting for safety and energy conservation, better identity and way-finding signs, 20 new Art and Garden places and upgraded infrastructure. The final phase of the project was the renovation of Fillmore Plaza. The new hybrid design enhanced pedestrian, event and retail activity in the area. The project was completed in July 2011.